I had been an avid user of AT&T’s internet services for the past seven years.
Recently, my family and I moved to a new city. Much to my disappointment, the neighborhood only supported Xfinity.
That meant I had to bid farewell to my old ISP and figure out how to go about getting another one.
With the help of many how-to posts and manuals on the Internet and some advice from the neighbors, I set off to hook up the Xfinity cable box and Internet.
The process was quite hassle-free. Nevertheless, I thought I’d put together a comprehensive guide on hooking up the Xfinity Cable box and Internet.
You can hook up the Xfinity Cable Box and Internet by connecting the xFi Gateway to the wall socket using a coaxial cable and twisting it clockwise at both ends.
Also, connect the xFi Gateway to a power outlet using a power cable. The last step is to activate your Xfinity Internet Sevice either online, through a phone call, Xfinity TV, or the Xfinity xFi Mobile App,
Order your Xfinity self-install kit
If you plan on installing it yourself, you’ll need the self-installation kit. If you have already ordered Xfinity Internet and have the kit ready, well and good.
Otherwise, you can place a request with your Xfinity sales agent while ordering over the phone or opt for a kit if you’re ordering online.
What’s in the self-installation kit?
I’ve made a checklist for you to tick off once you’ve ensured that each item is present and intact.
- xFi Wireless Gateway (this is your modem-router combo)
- Power cable
- Coaxial cable
- Ethernet cable
- Getting Started guide/setup instructions
- Instructions and prepaid labels if you ever need to return anything
All set to get your hands dirty? Let’s begin.
Self-installing Xfinity Internet
Don’t worry; it’s not as difficult as it sounds. Follow along to set up your Xfinity Internet:
- Pick up the coaxial cable and connect one of the ends to your wall socket. Twist in the clockwise direction until it’s tight.
- Find the coaxial input on your xFi Wireless Gateway Plug, and to it, plug in the other end of the coaxial cable. Again, twist in the clockwise direction until you feel it’s tight.
- Now, connect one end of the power cable to the xFi Gateway and the other end to a power outlet.
- If your Gateway doesn’t seem to power on automatically, try pressing the power button.
- Wait for a connection light that looks like a globe. This could take around 20 minutes to show up.
Now, you’re good to go!
Activating your Xfinity Internet service
Your next task is activating the Xfinity Internet service. There are four different methods to go about it:
- Online: Check out Xfinity’s activation page. You’ll be asked to verify your Xfinity account. Ensure that your plan matches your requirements, so you won’t find that your upload speed is too slow, Once that’s done, follow their instructions to complete the activation process.
- Phone: Dial 1-855-652-3446. You should reach Xfinity’s activation service. Follow the prompts to finish activation.
- TV: If you have plans to install the Xfinity TV service as well, you can use your TV to complete activation by following the steps on your TV screen.
- Xfinity xFi mobile app (Android or iOS): Download the app from the Playstore or App Store.
- You’ll be asked to sign and complete a few steps. Make sure you have the Gateway make and model information ready. You’ll find it at the bottom of the device.
Professional installation vs. Self-installation
For those who are still caught in this dilemma, I’ve drawn a comparison between the two to help you choose.
|Method||Professional Installation||Self Installation|
|Pros||Your device is in the safe hands of a tech expert||Simple and quick.|
Set up at your convenience.
Spend only $15 to cover shipping charges.
|Cons||You have to spend around $90.|
The hassle of making appointments.
|Having to set aside time to set up your Internet.|
The bottom line is if you’re unsure about your tech skills or your house isn’t wired to set up the Xfinity service, I recommend professional installation.
For those willing to put in some time and effort, especially if your house is already wired for Xfinity service, self-installation would be satisfying and easy on the wallet.
Xfinity Internet equipment: Buy or rent?
This question makes it to the list of FAQs on every Xfinity Internet-related post. So once again, here’s a pros and cons list to help you decide which one is best for you.
You get to choose your device.
Unlimited tech support.
No hunting for compatible devices.
|Cons||No replacements/ tech support from Xfinity (they’ll always blame your router).|
Research before making the choice.
|Spend $14 a month forever.|
No freedom to choose devices and features.
You could be planning to stick with the Xfinity Internet service for some time and would rather have a say in choosing your device than worry about replacements.
If this is the case, I would suggest getting an Xfinity router and/or Xfinity modem of your own and stop paying Comcast rent. It’ll be worth it.
Xfinity Wi-Fi setup
On the final leg, here’s what you need to do to manually set up your Xfinity Wi-Fi:
- On the bottom of your Gateway, you will spot the default network name and password for your Xfinity Wi-Fi network.
- Navigate to the list of available devices for Wi-Fi on your device.
- Select the network name given on the Gateway and type in the password.
You should be able to connect now. Alternatively, you can also use the Xfinity mobile app.
Scan the QR code at the bottom of the Gateway using the device you wish to connect.
The app can also help you personalize settings, like changing the network name or password.
If you are unhappy with the coverage that the Wi-Fi offers, consider investing in xFi Pods.
They come at $119 for one or $199 for two units and essentially act as Wi-Fi extenders. Follow these instructions to set it up:
- Install the Xfinity mobile app.
- Connect the xFi Pod to an outlet within a certain radius from the Gateway. The signals will be stronger for areas within this radius.
- Turn on Bluetooth on the device on which the Xfinity app has been installed.
- Tap the Account icon and choose to Activate xFi Pods.
- Tap on Get Started to start activating.
- Soon, you’ll be asked to keep the device within six inches of the xFi Pod.
- To complete the process, name the Pod to easily identify its location.
If your xFi Gateway is offline, you can try restarting it.
Connect the Xfinity Cable Box so You can Connect to the Internet
Setting up the Xfinity Internet service should be child’s play for those well versed with tech.
Even if you’re not, this post is more than enough to guide you through it. In case something goes wrong and you want to seek professional help, you’ll find it here. If the Xfinity Cable Box isn’t working, try restarting it.
Being a monopoly provider in my area, there is always someone who has faced the same issue before me.
So, finding help is quite easy. Not having to check regularly for firmware updates is the icing on the cake.
Safe to say that my switch to Xfinity has been a smooth ride so far. If change your mind about the whole thing, make sure to go through the return procedure to avoid paying the cancellation fee.
You May Also Enjoy Reading:
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Comcast TV and Internet use the same cable?
Yes, both of them use the same coaxial cable.
Can two TVs use one cable box?
Yes, that is possible. Here’s how:
- Connect the main cable line to a coaxial splitter. Use a two-way splitter if you wish to connect two TVs and multi-way for more.
- Use a coaxial cable to connect each output port of the splitter to a cable receiver.
- Now, connect the receiver to a TV.
How can I watch Comcast without a cable box?
You can use the Xfinity Stream app to browse channels and stream movies without renting a cable box.
Does a smart TV need a cable box?
No, smart TVs don’t need a cable box to access the Internet. You can stream shows and movies using any app that you may download.
Some of these may be free, while others need a monthly subscription.
Xfinity Installation Guide
You’ll have a simple installation process with an Xfinity or xFi Gateway. Instead of having to go through endless product reviews and store trips to pair your modem with a wireless router, the Gateway combines both devices and makes it easy to set up your Xfinity Wi-Fi router and modem right out of the box.
If you’re ready to catch up on Netflix shows or if your kids want to stream some Fortnite, here is what you’ll need to manually set up your Xfinity Wi-Fi:
- Look at the bottom of your Gateway. You’ll find a default network name and password for your Xfinity Wi-Fi network.
- Open the wireless network connection page on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. If you’re unsure where this is, search for “Wi-Fi” and look for a triangular-shaped icon that looks like a radio signal.
- Click the network name that matches your Gateway.
- Type in the stock password and hit connect.
For an easier Xfinity Wi-Fi box setup, you can also use the Xfinity mobile app if your Gateway has a QR code on the bottom. By scanning the QR code, you’ll be able to connect devices to Xfinity Wi-Fi, personalize the Gateway’s Wi-Fi network name, and change your network password through the app.
xFi Pods are Xfinity devices that extend your network’s range if your home has areas with poor internet performance. The add-ons, which cost $119 for one or $199 for two units, will help if your Wi-Fi performs worse outside your house or between floors.
Here’s how to set up your Xfinity Wi-Fi extender:
- Download the Xfinity mobile app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Plug the xFi Pod into a power outlet between your Gateway and the area you want to extend coverage into.
- Enable Bluetooth on the device that has the Xfinity app.
- Click the Account icon and select Activate xFi Pods.
- Press Get Started to begin the activation process.
- When prompted, place the device within six inches of the xFi Pod to connect it to your Gateway.
- To finish the activation wizard, give your Pod a name that indicates its location.
Comcast Xfinity Replacement AC Power Cord for Arris Model TG1682G Router Modem
$14.95Buy It Nowor Best Offer12d 13h, FREE Shipping, 30-Day Returns, eBay Money Back Guarantee
Seller:nwtradepost✉️(4,583)99.8%, Location:Spokane, Washington, Ships to: US & many other countries, Item:323033082351Comcast Xfinity Replacement AC Power Cord for Arris Model TG1682G Router Modem. *Visit my eBay Store* Visit my eBay Store -* nwtradepost *- for many more Great Deals! FOR SALE: Original Linetek Model LS-7CW Replacement Power Cord for Comcast Xfinity Arris Model TG1682G Router ModemCONDITION: Does not come with Comcast Label Tag, other then that the cord is the exact cord you will receive. In excellent, new, never used condition. Does not include any original packaging.FREE TRACKING CONFIRMATION ON ALL ORDERS! MORE PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST! - Just ask!•Welcome: It is the goal of Northwest Trade Post to provide all buyers with a positive, 5-star experience and exceed your expectations. I do my very best to over describe all items to avoid any confusion with the item you are purchasing. If you have any questions please never hesitate to ask!. I operate a smoke free facility, however some pre-owned items may come from smoking environments. It needs to be understood that used items should be cleaned before use. •Returns: When accepted, please return all materials included with item and return the item in the exact same condition. Please read entire description and ask any questions prior to purchase to avoid loss of any shipping/return shipping costs. Please be sure of your purchase, please note that "Free Shipping" means that the seller pays for the original shipping cost, so any time an item is returned, the seller does not receive a refund for that original postage cost. Items returned opened, used or missing original packaging or packing material are subject to a restocking fee. We reserve the right to refuse service to buyers who are known to abuse the return system, example: Failing to read complete description details and buying the wrong sized item by mistake then opening a claim for "item not working or defective" or "item not as described or photographed". Buyer is responsible for return postage. Northwest Trade Post will always take responsibility for any mistakes made on our part. •Shipping: Please be sure your address is accurate prior to sending payment, it can not be changed after payment is received and I can not ship to any other address. Most orders will be shipped immediately or the same business day but no later then the next business day, except in rare occasions. Shipping costs are for the United States of America only. Please remember that "Free Shipping", when offered, is not free, the postage is paid by the seller with the expectation that the buyer is purchasing the correct item needed and plans to keep the item and not return it, the seller does not receive a refund on used postage, even when offered as "Free Shipping". International shipping is handled by the eBay Global Shipping program and all additional shipping charges/import fee's go directly to a third party postal carrier, not to the seller. The seller uses a portion of the item sale cost to ship the item to the Global Shipping Center. •Payment: Please be sure of your purchase prior to paying, sellers are charged a non-refundable payment processing fee as soon as payment is received, a portion of this fee is not refundable to the seller. I accept payment from verified PayPal users and ship to the verified address only. Buyer is expected to pay within 2 days. Please contact me if for any reason you expect a delay in your payment. If no payment is received after 3 days a case will be opened and closed by eBay automatically after another few days. eBay Charges a Final Value fee as soon as a buyer commits to buying an item, the only way to recoup those fees is to allow this process to finish. •Feedback: Once you leave positive feedback, our systems will automatically give you positive feedback in return. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact me via "General Question" before opening a case, leaving negative, neutral or positive feedback with 3 or less stars in any category. Selecting any other reason for contact could cause eBay to automatically put penalties on a sellers account for one full year, no matter the outcome.Please Take A Look At My Other Listings! THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS!Condition:Open box, Condition:Does NOT come with Fabric Comcast Label Tag, other then that the cord is the exact cord you will receive. Does not include any original packaging. Please read entire description below prior to purchase. Thank you!, Return shipping will be paid by:Buyer, All returns accepted:Returns Accepted, Item must be returned within:30 Days, Refund will be given as:Money Back, Brand:Linetek, Bundle Listing:No, Compatible Brand:Arris, Compatible Model:TG1682G, MPN:LS-7CW, Max. Output Power:7A-125V, Cable Type:18/2AWG 60c 300v, Wall Plug Type:US Standard Polarized 2-prong, UL Certified Listed:Yes, Modified Item:No, California Prop 65 Warning:This is a power cord and may be made with materials that contain chemicals that fall under Prop 65., Custom Bundle:No, Type:AC Power Supply, Max Amps/Volts:7A 125V
PicClick Insights - Comcast Xfinity Replacement AC Power Cord for Arris Model TG1682G Router Modem PicClick Exclusive
- Popularity - 6,129 views, 4.5 views per day, 1,357 days on eBay. Super high amount of views. 7 sold, 7 available.
- Price -
- Seller - 4,583+ items sold. 0.2% negative feedback. Top-Rated Seller! Ships on time with tracking, 0 problems with past sales.
6,129 views, 4.5 views per day, 1,357 days on eBay. Super high amount of views. 7 sold, 7 available.
4,583+ items sold. 0.2% negative feedback. Top-Rated Seller! Ships on time with tracking, 0 problems with past sales.
People Also Loved PicClick Exclusive
Self-Install or Go Pro? Your Guide to Xfinity Installation
How to self-install Xfinity internet
Once you have your Xfinity self-install kit, it’s time to start setting up your equipment. If you have a mobile device, Comcast offers a free Xfinity xFi app on both the App Store and Google Play which can walk you through the installation step by step. Otherwise, you can follow these steps.
What comes in your self-install kit
Xfinity uses several different types of cable gateways (router and modem combos), depending on the kind of internet plan you sign up for. Although they may be different sizes and shapes, they all have the same basic components. Every cable modem should come with the following:
- Wireless gateway (the main box)
- Coax cable
- Power cord
- Ethernet cable (not required for wireless devices)
Some kits might come with additional parts, but these are the basic bits that every cable gateway needs to connect to the internet.
Xfinity also offers fiber gateways for customers of its fiber service, Xfinity Gigabit Pro, which has slightly different equipment. Xfinity Gigabit Pro is available in only a few cities and professional installation is required. You can find out more on Xfinity’s site.
Setting up your equipment
Once you’ve got all the essential equipment, you can begin setting up your gateway. Here are the steps:
- Place your xFi Wireless Gateway near a cable wall outlet. Try to find a central location in your home, away from windows and external walls.
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to your open wall socket. Turn it right to tighten, and make sure you tighten it all the way. Connect the other end of the cable to the xFi Wireless Gateway.
- Plug the power cord into the back of the gateway and then into a wall outlet.
- If your gateway doesn’t turn on automatically, press the power button.
- Wait until the online connection light stops flashing and remains on. This could take up to twenty minutes.
Now that you’ve got all the equipment set up on your end, the next step is to connect your computer and other devices to the network.
Connecting your devices to the network
Once your wireless gateway has been set up, you can start connecting your devices to the network. To connect to your network wirelessly, follow these steps:
- Find the name of your network (SSID) and password (security key) or PIN on the sticker on the side, back, or bottom of your gateway. If more than one network name is listed, you may choose either.
- Access the Wi-Fi settings on your personal device and make sure that Wi-Fi is turned on. Select the name of your network (SSID) from the list of available networks.
- When prompted, enter the password (security key) or PIN from the sticker.
You can also connect directly to the gateway with a device with an Ethernet connection. To do so, plug an Ethernet cable into one of the open Ethernet ports on the gateway and plug the other end into your device. This can be handy if you are having trouble with your wireless connection or if you want to use a device that’s not Wi-Fi enabled.
Activating your Xfinity service
Once your home network is up and running, you still can’t access the internet until you activate your Xfinity service. There are two ways to activate your service:
- Xfinity xFi mobile app: Xfinity’s mobile app can be used to activate most current Xfinity gateways and xFi pods. It’s available for both Apple and Android
- Web browser: If you don’t want to use the app, you can activate your service by going to https://register.be.xfinity.com/activate and following the instructions there.
Both the mobile app and the web-based activation give you the option to give your home network a name and a new password. We highly recommend that you do this. It’ll make your network information more secure and your network name easier to remember.
Cord xfinity gateway power
At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
Thinking of getting Xfinity internet service? Depending on your location, you may be able to opt for self-installation, which brings down your setup costs. Xfinity will ship you a self-install kit for $14.99 (though sometimes they run promotions where they’re free) and say it takes about two hours to get your internet set up.
Ready to get started? Here’s how to set up Xfinity internet using their self-install kit:
Setting up Xfinity Internet with xFi Gateway
If you have Xfinity internet with an xFi Gateway modem/router, follow these steps to get set up:
If you have a mobile phone:
Step 1: Download the Xfinity xFi app for free in the iOS App Store or Android Google Play.
Step 2: Follow the step-by-step prompts in the app to install your xFi Gateway modem/router and set up your Xfinity home Wi-Fi network.
If you don’t have a mobile phone:
Step 1: Connect the cables. Place your xFi Gateway in a central location near a cable wall outlet. Connect one end of the coax cable to the Cable In/RF In port on your Gateway and the other end to your cable wall outlet. Twist until they’re finger tight.
Step 2: Connect the power. Plug the power cord into the back of your Gateway and then into the electrical outlet. Wait until the Power, US/DS and Online lights stop flashing and are solid for one minute.
Step 3: Connect with Wi-Fi. Wait for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GH Wi-Fi lights to start flashing. Once they’re flashing, find the Network Name (SSID) and Password (Security Key) on the sticker on the side, back or bottom of your Gateway.
- Tip: The name should be listed as either Home-XXXX or XFSETUP-XXXX.
Step 4: Enable Wi-Fi on your devices. Access the Wi-Fi settings, select your Network Name (SSID) and enter your password (Security Key)
- Tip: Windows users may be prompted to enter a PIN instead which can be found on a separate sticker on your Gateway.
Step 5: Activate your service. Once you’re connected, visit Xfinity’s registration page and follow the prompts to verify your account, activate your service and set up a new home network name and password.
Once activation is complete (your Gateway may reboot in the process), you’re ready to start enjoying home Wi-Fi with your Xfinity internet service.
Setting up Xfinity internet using your own modem and router
Xfinity gives you the option to use your own internet equipment instead of their Gateway. If you choose to purchase your own Xfinity-compatible modem and router, follow the instructions that come with your purchased equipment to get your internet service set up.
If your connection isn’t that strong
Place your xFi Gateway at least three feet from the ground and avoid cramped space. You’ll want to place it in a central location without walls or furniture blocking the signal.
If an issue is affecting multiple devices
First, check your apps and websites to make sure it’s a network issue, not a specific app or website issue. Visit the Xfinity Status Center Outage Map to check for local outages. Confirm that all cables are plugged in. Unplug your equipment, wait a minute and plug it back in. If you’re still having issues, contact Xfinity customer service.
Frequently asked questions
Why can’t I install my own equipment?
For most addresses, you’ll have the option to either self-install or pay for professional installation of your Xfinity internet service. However, there are some cases that require professional installation, such as:
- Xfinity service has never been set up at your address before
- The address has not had Xfinity service in more than a year
- Installation is too complex or includes four or more pieces of equipment
How do I change my Wi-Fi network name and password?
To change your Xfinity Wi-Fi network name and password, either login into your online account or download the Xfinity xFi app.
How do I restart my Xfinity Gateway?
There are three options for restarting your Xfinity Gateway:
- Log into xfinity.com/myaccount. Scroll and select Manage Internet. Select Restart Modem. Select Start Troubleshooting to begin a reset.
- Open the Xfinity My Account app. Scroll and select Internet. Select your modem and then select Restart this device to being the process.
- Manually restart your Gateway by unplugging the power cable, waiting a minute and plugging it back in.
If you have any issues during self-installation, feel free to contact Xfinity customer service to get help or visit their support center online.
You will also be interested:
- Raffy tulfo house
- Craigslist list lakeland
- Cardpointe login
- Michaels locations ct
- Lennox furnace filter
- South florida manufacturers